A BLOG ABOUT ALL THINGS ARTY. BE INSPIRED.

24/12/2013

Six Word Story

It's coming up to New Year's and I just realised that I am so useless at sticking to things. My friends got me a "One Line Everyday" diary for my birthday and I filled it in religiously for about a week and then completely forgot about it (sorry guys!). I thought that I could easily form a habit out of this, one line is hardly a commitment! But the constraint just made my diary entries sound like really shit tweets; work took over my life and several consecutive entries of "uni, lectures, pizza, sleep" were not going to paint a very glamorous picture for my grandchildren when they stumbled upon it in my attic. 

Anyway, I digress. What I wanted to talk about was this website - www.sixwordstoryeveryday.com as its given me inspiration to have another stab at my diary in 2014. These 6 word stories convey so much emotion in so little space. Since I am a bit of a fontophile and a fan of typography, I really love the way each story is presented in graphics. It's also quite sneaky since they're using the pictures to add to the story in a non written way.  

Have a browse of the website, it really is cool! Oh, and if you can't read some of them the caption is written underneath but its fun to try and work it out. Just a little hint for you as I have spent an embarrassingly long time trying to decode a couple. 
I also think these could potentially also be a great starting point for a script/story if you're into that sort of thing.
Here are some examples:


Stars danced for us that night.
Writer/Designer: Joy Allen


Life is better in 3D. Usually.
Writer/Designer: Kelsey Watkins

In that moment we were infinite.
Writer: inspired The Perks of Being A Wallflower, written by Stephen Chbosky

You can go your own way.
Writer/Designer: Amy Rice

So this wasn’t a theme party?
Writer: Mike Derus
Designer: 
Anne Ulku

2 comments:

Pastor Ricardo-Ricardo Mendez Pilgrim in Chief of the First Order of the Holy Cress said...

Sick dawg!

Dunno if you've ever heard this one (and I'm also somewhat doubtful of whether it's true) but apparently somebody once bet Ernest Hemmingway he couldn't write a story in 6 words and he came out with this:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn

which is cool

Nam said...

Ollie! Thanks for your comment :) I believe that is actually what inspired the Six Word Project in the first place. That 6 word story is really quite moving :(.

Don't think it'd work so well in 2013 though when we'd just assume that they're selling the shoes because the baby already has the same ones.